OpenSSL is a cryptography toolkit implementing the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and Transport Layer Security (TLS v1) network protocols and related cryptography standards required by them. The openssl program is a command line tool for using the various cryptography functions of OpenSSL’s crypto library from the shell
1. Get complete available details of an SSL certificate
openssl x509 -text -in ssl.cert
2. Who issued the certificate?
openssl x509 -noout -in ssl.cert -issuer
3. To whom the certificate was issued?
openssl x509 -noout -in ssl.cert -subject
4. To check the expiry date of SSL certificate
openssl x509 -noout -in ssl.cert -dates
5. To get SSL cert’s hash value
openssl x509 -noout -in ssl.cert -hash
6. To get SSL cert’s MD5 fingerprint
openssl x509 -noout -in ssl.cert -fingerprint